3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
½ cup cold water
½ cup hot water
2 ½ cups granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons lemon juice
½ teaspoon lemon extract
About ½ cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1. Soften the gelatin in the cold water. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan, bring the hot water and granulated sugar to a boil, stirring all the while. Lower heat. Add the salt, and stir in the softened gelatin until completely dissolved. Cook at a simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and lemon extract.
4. Rinse a 6” square pan with cold water. The pan should be wet but not have standing water. (A plastic sandwich box works well.) Pour the mixture into the pan. Cover with the box lid or plastic wrap and allow to stand in a cool place overnight.
5. Sift some of the confectioners’ sugar onto a plate. Moisten a knife in very hot water and run it around the edges of the pan to loosen the candy. Invert the pan over the plate. It may be necessary to work on the edges a little to loosen them enough to turn the candy out on top of the sugar. Cut the square into equal-width strips.
6. Roll each strip in sugar; then cut into cubes. Roll each cube in additional sugar to coat well.